Monday, November 9

Top 5 Albums, Live

Last night we went to see Devo perform all of Are We Not Men? and it got me thinkin I really love that some bands are playing their albums in there entirety live. I came up with five albums I'd love to see played live by the band that recorded it. I decided to only go for bands that still have all living members (at least to the best of my knowledge), so I wouldn't feel tempted to put up a bunch of Beatles.

In No Particular Order:

Beanie Sigel - The B. Coming

This is one of the most emotional hip hop albums i think i've ever listened to. It goes against the standard money money money, girls girls girls rapping formula and he really gets into how messed up and stressed out he is. It also has some of my favorite beats like this one called I Can Feel it in the Air.



LCD Sound System - Sound of Silver
Ugh... I don't even know what to say about this album. The first time I heard it I had to learn "New York I Love You" on the piano because it blew my mind. I still play it about once a week when I'm feeling down. Pitchfork gave this album a 9.2. Not saying that really means all that much because I disagree with Pitchfork a lot but I thought they nailed it this time. Of all the albums this might be the one I'd like to see the most because the sequencing on this album feels perfect.

Here's "New York I Love You" with Kermit the Frog



Miike Snow - Miike Snow
So these guys wrote Toxic, what else needs to be said? Other than that, when this came out I listened to it multiple times a day for about a two weeks because it's that good.

Here's Silvia, no music video, just the song.


The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?
When I first met Luke, he asked me if I knew who The Unicorns were. I said no and he said something along the lines of: How could you have lived your life this far without them? I didn't put quotes around that because I don't really remember what he said but I'm pretty sure it was something like that. Anyways, this album is awesome. I'm pretty sure they only made two albums then they broke up. I've always felt it's better to burn out than fade away so maybe that was a good thing.

Here's Jellybones (because I was kind of an idiot, I used to think this song was called Jelly Cones and was sooooo confused)


Weezer - Pinkerton
Fuck this album is good! Everything in it feels so genuine and the songs are incredible. Also in the spirit of Luke's blog below, there is some superb shreading in this. I don't think they'd want to play this live though because they've changed pretty dramatically since then. But Weezer, if your reading this, it'd be awesome if you did.

El Scorcho (They censor a bit in the beginning, sorry. I had a hard time find this cause no one would let me embed it)



As a bonus i'd love to see David Bowie do Young Americans. That'd be totally sweet.


Now it's your turn, I'd love to know what albums you guys would want to see done live. It can be artists dead or alive, lemme know!!!! Speak your piece!!!!

6 comments:

juuuuuuuustin November 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

I also thought it was jellycones back when i was 13 because i illegally downloaded a misspelled version of it.

Anonymous November 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Nas-Illmatic, if he could actually perform live instead of leaving out huge chunks of lyrics catching his breath.

Devin C. November 10, 2009 at 12:23 AM  

Pixies - Doolittle! oh wait, I'm seeing them play it this thursday @ paramount! DREAM COME TRUE!

Anonymous November 10, 2009 at 1:21 AM  

NATALIE PORTMAN'S SHAVED HEAD!!!!!!!

Dr.Nichon November 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

weeeell,

Melt-Banana / Charlie
Late of the Pier / Fantasy Black Channel
Clone Defects / Shapes of Venus
Animal Collective / Strawberry Jam
and of course, NPSH...

The Unicorns made a few demos, one LP and an EP. Then they broke up

Anonymous November 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Welcome to the Jungle/ GnR
Purple Rain/ Prince
Making Love/ Atom and his Package
Clandestino/ Manu Chao
~EITHER~
Doggystyle/ Snoop Dogg
~OR~
Swass/ Sir-Mix-a-Lot