Wednesday, December 16

Letters of Note

I just found this cool website: Letters of Note. It collects written correspondences from notable people in the past (back when people actually wrote letters[?!?]), giving a small glimpse into their daily lives and personalities. It's really interesting.

Here's one from Frank Sinatra completely telling-off a newspaper writer and challenging him to a wager over his claims: (click to make bigger)


And an interesting letter from JD Salinger, author of one of my favorite books The Catcher in the Rye, replying to a producer about how the book will almost surely never be made into a movie in his lifetime: (click to make bigger)

There are also letters from Hunter S. Thompson, Walt Disney, David Bowie, Joe Strummer, Dr. Seuss and so many more. Check it out!

p.s. Ok ok, I realize most ppl are intimidated by this much text on the web in these Internetimes, but it is a fascinating read.

p.p.s On another old-timey note, it makes me sad that people don't really write letters anymore. There is such a charm to them. I want to start writing letters whenever appropriate.


-L

2 comments:

Sarah December 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

I would gladly write you a letter, if I had an address to send it to. Or you could just do a concert in Kansas City again, and I could hand deliver the letter to you.
Please come back to KC soon. My friends and I really want to go to another concert of yours.

Anonymous January 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

That is really cool indeed and I totally agree re: letters. Email just isn't the same!